6 medium sized beets, peeled and diced
8 cups vegetable broth or water or chicken broth
2 cups apple juice
3 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and diced
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and ground pepper to taste
Creme Fraiche for garnish (optional)
1. Place the broth, juice and beets in a heavy pot.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered for about 45 minutes.
2. Strain the broth and return to it to the pot.
3. Melt the butter over medium low heat. Add apples and saute until caramelized for about 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Puree the apples and beet in food processor. Add the broth if desired.
5. Mix the puree, broth, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Pass the soup through strainer if desired.
6. Serve the soup hot or cold, dolloped with creme fraiche if desired.