1 lb. Fish
Mustard Oil or vegetable oil ( if you are using mustard oil make sure it is really heated through - otherwise it gives an undesirable taste to the food - the color lightens up when it is ready.
A few whole dried red chillies (the long one)
1/2 tsp - black mustard seeds
1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar (rice)
3-4 spoons of besan or rice flour or corn flour (only if you are using frozen fillet - the flour helps the fish not fall apart when you are frying it + makes it crunchy)
2 tbsps. Mustard Powder - Tastes better if you make your own. Take yellow mustard and dry grind as fine as possible in a coffee grinder or with your mortar pestle
1 tsp. Coriander powder
1 tsp. Red Chili Powder
2 tsps. Turmeric Powder
2-3 tsps. Garlic
2 nos. Tomato(pureed)
2 tbsps. Cilantro(chopped)
A few no. Potato(optional)
Salt to taste
- Clean and cut the fish into pieces - drain it. Make sure it is nice & dry
- Add lemon juice, salt, some garlic, turmeric and set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Add the besan or whatever flour you choose to the fish and make sure it is evenly coated
- Fry the fish in a few batches in oil and keep aside.
Optional: Slice potatoes in 5-6 discs, fry and set aside
- Heat oil in a pan and add black mustard seed + whole red chilli
- Then add garlic paste, fry 3-4 minutes on medium high heat.
- Next add corinader, red chilli , turmeric powder , mustard powder and fry about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and fry till oil separates.
- Add 2-3 cups water, cover and bring it to boil
- Add fish and potatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add half of the coriander leaves and continue simmering for another couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with rest of the fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice.
|< Prev||Next >|