Mutton (lamb) meatballs "Savji" style. This is a Solapuri style of cooking. It could be substituted with chicken or turkey.
1 lb ground lamb meat, or chicken or turkey if preferred.
2 in. ginger, 3-4 garlic cloves, handful cilantro made in a paste.
3 tbsp red chili powder and extra 2 tbsp to add to the oil.
1 tsp turmeric.
1 tbsp garam masala.
1/2 tbsp kala masala or goda masala. Kala masala has more coconut and dhane than traditional goda masala.
1tbsp Khobra masala- roast dry dessicated coconut on tava till
medium brown. Powder and store in air tight container for up to 2 weeks
Oil 4-5 tbsp. Savji mutton is usually very oily. Adjust oil according to taste.
1. Mix ginger garlic cilantro paste in the meat.
2. Add turmeric, chili powder, garam masala to the meat with salt
according to taste. Mix completely with hand or fork. Make sure
everything is completely homogeneous.
3. With oil on palms, make small meatballs and place on a dry plate.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add the meatballs making sure all the meatballs touch the pan, do not overcrowd.
5. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes.
6. Uncover, add kala masala, red chili powder, turmeric and cover
and cook for 10 minutes, making sure not to burn the red chili powder.
7. Add the khobra masala and 1/2 cup water to the meatballs. Cook
for another 10 minutes. Lamb meat takes longer to cook than chicken and
turkey. Adjust time accordingly.
When thoroughly cooked enjoy with roti or masale bhaat.