As unique as we are from the inside, we each are gifted with a unique structure from the outside as well. Something almost impossible to put in numbers from 0 to 12 or 14 or eternity. The unfortunate world of mass produced items has tagged us all with numbers and these numbers have become our identity-unfortunately! Certain numbers are promoted as the “ideal” number to be at and certain numbers and beyond are supposed to bring you shame. This whole number game has played on the minds and psychology of women as they believe that if they are not the “ideal” figure, they are not beautiful and sexy! The fact is, to be beautiful and sexy, its not about the body, its about how you feel inside. The most important factor is confidence! No item of clothing or make up is going to make you beautiful if you do not feel beautiful about yourself. If we follow a certain discipline in taking care of ourselves, our body ,our skin, our mind and our soul, we are in general ,beautiful people! Numbers in case of weight and size should not stress us so much that we get demotivated loose that necessary discipline.
As I have always said, there is no “one” rule in fashion. It is a lot about common sense, good sense of aesthetic , and most importantly great sense of balance and proportions. It is about correcting the imperfections of our body and balancing the whole look. Another important rule to follow is the “fit”. The most basic item of clothing like a black tee and a jean can look super hot if it is the right fit for you. It is not about how much it costs or what size it is or what brand it is, it looks good ,if it fits well.
Now we all have certain problem areas in our body and common sense says that we should dress in whats the most appropriate for our body.The struggle some people find is to figure out what exactly is the problem area and what exactly suits them. To help you figure that out,here is a break down of certain body shapes that are most common amongst us . Here I am talking about shapes and not about sizes as you could be any size and look fabulous if you dress appropriate to your shape.Of course,there are exceptions and I will try and talk about some of the exceptional problem areas as well ;).
So conventionally we are:
Hourglass: As the name suggests, visualize an hourglass over your body and try to get a sense of shape and proportion. So if your shoulder line and hip line are almost aligned and your waist is smaller and there is a prominent curve , you are an hourglass! A very sexy shape indeed. Now the idea here is to enhance your assets and hide your body’s imperfections. Assets being the waist and the curve. And the imperfection being the full figure look. An hourglass figure needs to create an illusion of a lean figure. Now here comes the balancing act.
- Wear things that accentuate the waist . For eg. big belts,dresses with a band at the waist etc.
- Darker colors for a slimming effect.
- Boot cut jeans, slightly flared or wide legged bottoms tend to slim you down and elongate the posture.
- Wrap dresses, wrap blouses and wrap skirts.
Suits me not :-
- Try and avoid focus on any one section of your torso.
- Lighter colors like whites and beige ,especially not with larger prints.
- Shapeless clothing ,like baggy jumpers, t-shit too big for your size.
- Skinny jean is avoidable as it totally shifts the focus to the hips and thigh
Apple : You may fall into this category if you tend to carry most of your weight in the middle area without a well defined waist. You may have great legs, narrow shoulders and smaller bust region but do not know how to accentuate all these assets because of your middle torso being out of proportion. Do not worry, there is style in every shape.
- Simple cuts and straight lines will be essential to balance the proportion
- Long length blouses and tops which are fairly loose
- Empire line dresses and tops
- Low necklines which draws the eye upwards
- Straight cuts in pants and skirts
- Jackets that reach till your mid thigh or at-least below the waist
- Flowing fabrics
- Long necklaces and scarves
Suits me not :-
- Avoid adding volume in the middle section so no ruffles or large prints on the top
- Avoid tight blouses and tops
- Avoid short and boxy jackets
- Avoid tight and narrow cuts in skirts and blouses
- Horizontal stripes are a no no
- No large belts
Pear /triangle:- A lot of Indian women fall into this category where we are blessed with big hips and thighs, have a wide pelvis area and are small around the chest and shoulders. A pear shaped woman may also have fairly flat stomach and small boobs. The idea here is to draw the eye upwards and move the attention away from the bottom.
- Bold prints, bright tops and shiny blouses
- Tops with large collars, lapels or sleeves
- Medium length jackets
- Shorter necklaces
- Pants and skirts in matte , solid and preferably in darker colors
- V- neck and boat neck tops which creates an illusion of a broader shoulder
- Cowl neck are suitable ,especially if you have small bust region
Suits me not:-
- No pencil or fishtail cuts in skirts and dresses
- Nothing that is tight below the waist
- Avoid larger, brighter and bold prints or any bottoms with volume
- Pleated skirts are best to avoid
- No high waist pants
Rectangle :- As the name suggests, this figure has minimal or no curves and can carry any item of clothing pretty well. A shape most commonly found in fashion models. Of course , they are slender and rectangular but the principles stay true for a bigger frames as well. So do not frown that you are not thin as fashion models , you still can wear a lot of looks! The challenge with this body shape is not to move away focus from any particular section of the body but to add an illusion of curves for a sexier look as this shape may look a little boyish and not feminine.
- You can wear prints, stripes, floral motives etc.
- Structured coats and jackets that cinch at the waist
- Clothing with some shape and contour like a waist band or seams
- Skirts and jeans with seam around the hips that adds some shape to your assets
- Drop waist dresses that sit not at the natural waist but a little lower
- Pleated skirts in all lengths depending on your height
- Ruffled tops and dresses
Suits me not:-
- Skinny and straight cut tops and dresses
- Solid colors on the top
- Belts at the natural waist attract attention to the thick middle area so avoid
focusing on the natural waist move a little lower.
Strawberry /inverted triangle:- By now common sense would tell you that this body type is bigger on the top, i.e. broad shoulders and/ or big bust,with small hips, resembling a strawberry or an inverted triangle. To soften the shape we need to add volume at the bottom.
Suits me :-
- Flared and wide legged pants
- Voluminous skirts
- Dresses that are slimmer on the top and fuller below the waist
- Bright colors below the waist
Suits me not:-
- Skinny jean and tapering trousers are an absolute no- no
- Pencil skirts
- Large prints and patterns on the top
- Ruffles and frills on the blouses
- Avoid puff sleeves and epaulettes
- Avoid halter tops and dresses
So all in all, being stylish is not that difficult is it?